Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Post-Election Thoughts

Well, I'm sure it's no secret that our household was saddened by the results of the Tuesday election. Time to move forward though . . .

--In all honesty, even a McCain victory would have been bittersweet. I wasn't terribly excited about the guy; he was just the lesser of two evils in my book.

--BO does bring some positives to the table. He's the anti-Bush, it seems: smooth, polished, good speaker, shatters a lot of racial stereotypes. From this standpoint, I think he could move the country forward. On a purely political viewpoint, though, I'm not very optimistic . . .

--I'm a little torn about the race issue. On one hand, I'm tremendously proud that our country has come this far in 40-50 years that a man of color could take the highest position in the land. This brings hope to so many people and will shatter many racial barriers that our country still faces.

On the other hand, I'm saddened that many voters chose Barama solely on his race alone. I even came across an article in a major liberal publication that pushed this line of thinking: Vote for BO because he's black. Period. That's nuts.

Follow-up: 1) Is it safe to say that that the country's liberals wouldn't have been quite so excited about such an historic occasion if a black Republican (yeah, there are a few out there) had taken the election? What would have been the reaction if someone like Alan Keyes had won? Crickets . . . 2) An honest question: BO had a black father and a white mother. Why is he seen as "black" and not "white"? What if he had married a white woman? Or if he himself looked more white? Would it be viewed the same same way in America's eyes? I mean, there would be no biological difference . . . seriously, does anyone have any insight into this? I honestly don't know how this works.

--Could BO be in a better political position right now? Democrats own the House and Senate, Republicans are licking their wounds and are weakened, the economy will improve in his presidency (because it can hardly get worse), the rest of the world is excited about someone other than Bush in office . . . he's got the world on a string. Unless he really blows it (which I'm not ruling out), no way does he lose in 2012.

It's a depressing thought, actually. I observed to Shannon the other day that our son will be 12 years old when BO leaves the Oval Office. 8 years is a long time. Who knows what the country will look like then.

--All this being said, I'm going to try my best to give the guy a shot, and to support him when he comes into office. Hey, he's at the helm now, and as BO goes, so goes the country. Don't blow it, pal!


OK, those are the last BO ramblings until he tries to sign the Freedom of Choice Act. God forbid.

1 Comments:

At 12/18/08, 10:12 PM, Blogger Andy said...

I'm back! Haven't read your blog in a year. Looking forward to catching up!

I hope you're feeling a little better about Barama (is that your invention?) since the election...I think his nominations so far have demonstrated his pragmatism and (relative) centrism. I've been pretty excited by the whole thing, and though I do have a sticking point or two (okay, maybe only one) with the Democratic platform, I'm very optimistic.

I hope you four (almost 5!) are well! A very Merry Christmas to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home