Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A More Mellow Mama

Well, as most of you can see, I had a WONDERFUL Mother's Day! I actually almost forgot it was Mother's Day when I woke up. Then I saw Heath cooking in our kitchen and knew something was up. ;) Just kidding! He actually made a delicious dinner this evening as well, pasta with pork sausage in marinara sauce.....Yummy!!!

On Mother's Day, I got a good dose of love, family, God, rest and relaxation. What more could a woman want? If only there were more "mini-doses" of those things everyday.....Cavan has actually wished me "Happy Mother's Day" yesterday and today as well. ;) Heath said, "See, everyday is Mother's Day!" It is sweet of him; we'll see how long it lasts.

While reflecting on being a mother, I have recently realized that there are some changes that need to happen in my daily life. In the past month or so, I have become irritable, down, impatient and drowning in stress. It seems as if the *littlest* changes or bumps in our day throw me into a sea of being overwhelmed. Obviously, this is not good for me, my husband or our children. They need a calm, loving, gentle and mellow mama.

So, here are some of my "resolutions" to achieving a more mellow frame of mind:

1) Making MORE time for God and prayer. This *always* seems to be an ongoing resolution for me, but here I am.....once again.....renewing my commitment. When Jesus is first, my days go smoother. When I stop to shoot up an arrow prayer instead of blowing up like I want to, my children are happier and emotionally healthier for it. When I seek out respite in our Lord, I am refreshed and mentally more ready for any of our common daily challenges (e.g. tantrums, Kellyn tearing up Cavan's race track, Kellyn screaming and fighting me throughout her diaper change, Cavan whining "no" at me for the umpteenth time). Lord, please help me to put you first in my daily planner.

2) Making pseudo-daily plans, so *I* and the kids know what to expect. I think this will also help me manage our days better in terms of what needs to get done, where to prioritize my time for that day and when to allow "wiggle room" for unexpected changes. Having some sort of structure helps me mentally prepare, but keeping an ongoing flexibility will keep me open to life's pleasant surprises!

3) In the same vein, looking ahead in the week. When do I *need* to have my house clean? (i.e. nights when I have Bradley classes) What room needs immediate attention? (i.e. is the most disastrous) Are those dishes REALLY a priority or can I play and dance with my children for awhile? (Most of the time, the latter is more important.)

4) Keeping rooms at a comfort-messy level and having *one* room as a "sanctuary". Let's face it, NEVER in my life have I been a neat and orderly person. (I credit this to my dramatic, flare-for-theatre creative side. How can you be creative without chaos?!) However, I do find my stress levels inching up higher and higher, in direct correlation to how messy my home gets. So, remembering that I have small children and perfection is NOT a possibility, I will strive towards keeping afloat in the most amount of mess I am comfortable enduring. When it creeps up too high, it's time for an overhaul.

5) In conjunction with #4, ASKING for help when I need it! Especially when it comes to keeping house and getting chores done. I praise the multitudes of generations before me who were able to keep a clean home, children washed and fed and remain sane at the same time! For me, however, I need help from time to time. If this requires swallowing my pride and asking Heath to pitch in every now and then, by golly I am going to do it! I have come to learn in these past few years that I am a much happier and calmer woman for it. So THANK YOU in advance to my husband, who will probably endure thousands of tear-soaked requests for help before our time on this earth is through!

Here's to all the mamas out there...here's to keeping our sanity, enjoying our families and loving ourselves. Wishing you all a more mellow frame of mind as well!

Shannon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home