Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Sunday, August 09, 2009

The Case Against Facebook

Since I've been receiving pressure from all sides to join up in the latest ephemeral on-line fad, I thought a nice old-fashioned refutation would be in order.

My laundry-list of reasons why I haven't joined the "Cool Kids" club yet:

1) Time waster: Between work, family, books, hobbies, and the plethora of other internet time-sucks I take advantage of (e-mail, blogs, etc.), how can I justify wasting more of my day on Facebook?

2) Popularity Contest: It's basically all the things I hated about high school, right? Having as many "friends" as possible, hoping not to be excluded from somebody's group of "friends", writing on people's walls, doing anything possible to be unproductive with your time . . . yeah, I remember this: Trico High School '95-'98.

3) Lack of Profundity/Impermanence: The thing I love about blogs is that I can post something of substance or something family-related and know that someday my children may be interested to peruse the archives. I doubt any of my progeny will be interested to read my status updates such as, "Oh man, does my toe ever hurt today!"

4) Risk of Offending: I have my high school buddies, my college drinking pals, my Jesus friends, my students, etc . . . it's best if each group knows as little about my other relationships as possible. Would I have to sweat out each update, hoping someone wouldn't take offense about over "I think Miller Lite sucks" or "Have you accepted Jesus Christ into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior"? (OK, you wouldn't see the latter . . . maybe the former.)

5) "Culture of Non-relation": One of the priests at Newman coined this phrase about the current generation. An Archbishop recently warned about the "dehumanizing" effects of social networking sites such as Facebook:

“We're losing social skills, the human interaction skills, how to read a person's mood, to read their body language, how to be patient until the moment is right to make or press a point,” he said. “Too much exclusive use of electronic information dehumanizes what is a very, very important part of community life and living together.” (Link)


A compelling case, I know . . . now, with all that being said: I'm in. I'm going to sign up right now. Sounds like fun.


UPDATE: OK, I started signing up and gave Facebook the following preliminary info: Name, e-mail address, DOB, sex. That's it. The next page came up with a list of about 30 people, all of which I know from various associations. WTH?!? What kind of "1984" set-up is this?!?

6 Comments:

At 8/10/09, 5:30 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Okay, that was funny! Now I will attempt to find you on Facebook.

 
At 8/10/09, 8:24 AM, Anonymous brandon field said...

You can upload your email contact list to Facebook, and it will look for people for you. Those people probably had your email listed and the friend-finding algorithm was just waiting for you to sign up.

That being said, some of the associations that it makes are indeed creepy.

(I do agree with the time wasting sed contra, but I don't think that there is any more inherent lack of profundity or culture of non-relation in facebook any more than any other form of computerized correspondence. In fact, I have found that the quick responses to peoples' updates makes it easier to keep in quick contact than trying to craft an email or 'blog comment).

 
At 8/10/09, 8:27 AM, Anonymous brandon field said...

And I've actually given a lot of though to your point #4 and I came to the conclusion that I should be happy with the idea that all of my friends from different realms (including students that I have had in class) should know about the rest of my life. I have been careful in what I post, but I think this has made me think about my life a little more holistically.

 
At 8/10/09, 12:43 PM, Blogger Heath Morber said...

Wow, glad to see that some folks are still reading the blog! These are the first comments we've had in a while. (People are too busy on their F-book accounts to read our sporadic posts, it seems. : )

Brandon, mostly agree with your comparison between e-mail and Facebook. E-mail, though, is just a fact of life now, and has many personal and business functions. Facebook, at least at this point, is still less "necessary", I think. Nonetheless, I can't stand on my high horse anymore, so it is what it is.

See you in October!

 
At 8/12/09, 8:08 AM, Blogger melbys said...

lol. i totally agree with you on all accounts. and i have also held out and was convinced to continue holding out on being a part of today's pop culture. and then you said you signed up so now i feel complete pressure to also join. see, it truly is high school still!

 
At 8/12/09, 8:08 AM, Blogger melbys said...

oh, i also think that i will start calling it f-book like you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home