Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday=No Hoops

A very somber day indeed. Today we commemorate the death of our Lord on a cross, initiated by the sinfulness of the human race. Though we know how the story ends, it is deemed worthwhile for us to dwell on this tragic event and join our own sufferings with those of Christ on the cross.

This day, though always very meaningful for me, takes on an extremely sour tone this year. Not only must I meditate on the Way of the Cross, but the entirety of the Easter Triduum falls on what is normally my most unproductive weekend of the year: the first round of March Madness.

I posted last year on my obsession with this glorious event. I cherish this weekend above almost all others. But instead of my usual routine of 12 hours/day of beloved basketball, I'm forced to (gasp) attend to the various liturgies that make up part of my job description.

We had our Holy Thursday service last night, a celebration that focuses on the institution of the Eucharist, the institution of the priesthood, and the moving Gospel passage in which Jesus stoops down to wash the feet of his disciples. I did allow myself to watch the first round of games and then caught the tail end of the festivities when I returned from church around 9:00 PM. But after much anguished deliberation, I've decided to do the unthinkable: No basketball today. At all.

"Say it ain't so!" many of you are thinking. I know, I know, Day 2 of the tournament is just as exciting as Day 1: 16 games, often full of upsets and buzzer-beaters. A sports junkie's dream. Nonetheless, I feel that it is incumbent upon me to do my very best today to put aside such indulgences and attempt to enter into the sacred side of this day more fully. It will be difficult, my faithful readers, but all things are possible with God, even this.

A blessed Triduum and a Happy Easter to all of you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home