Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Business of Being Born

As many of you know, our daughter was born at our previous home in May of 2006. After having a cesarean with Cavan, I knew there had to be a better way to birth . . . and there is!!! Ladies, I am here to tell you . . . STAY HOME. ;)

Of course, I fully realize and acknowledge that homebirth is not for everyone, so many of you may be laughing out loud and/or rolling your eyes at me. I know, I know . . . I am some radical, loony, hippie mom who wants to birth her babies in her backyard. ;) However, I feel compelled to spread the news because so many women do not even realize homebirth is still an option. Unfortunately for women, two major medical associations are trying to ENSURE that it is NOT an option for women. Yep, you heard me right! The American Medical Association (AMA) and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) have issued a statement against "home deliveries". (As if birthing at home is the same as getting pizza delivered to your home! I could go on about the terminology of "delivery" but I will save that for another time.) So now physicians are attempting to literally dictate where women should birth their babies. Considering maternity wards are typically the "cash cow" of hospitals, it doesn't surprise me that these physicians have taken such a strong stance on location of births. They obviously have a vested financial interest to protect (more birthing mamas = more interventions = more beds filled = more babies in the hospital = more money).

I don't mean to sound cynical. The doctors may just be feeling defensive from all the recent midwifery campaigning and homebirth media. Ricki Lake recently made a movie, "The Business of Being Born" in which she shows several women birthing at home and the differences experienced while in the hospital. I have yet to see this film but would love to do so! I know it is available on Netflix, but I heard a local video store in town is also carrying it, so it may be a family movie night soon! ;) Even though I have not viewed the film myself, I have heard rave reviews. So, if you have Netflix or some extra time on your hands, give it a shot. You may be surprised by what you see in the movie.

There is also a campaign going on across the country to legalize Direct Entry Midwives (DEMs) as Certified Professional Midwives (CPMs). Many states already have licensure available for CPMs, but many do not. And of those states without licensure, there is usually some MAJOR persecution of midwives who are practicing "underground". Illinois has legislation introduced, but you know if I already pestered you last year for support, that getting a bill passed is a LONG process and ours is still in progress. You can find out more at www.thebigpushformidwives.org and for Illinois specifically, www.homebirthishealthy.org.

Now, I can sympathize with doctors. I can see why they are feeling pressure and why they feel the need to "fight back". I can also understand why many of them with solely a medical background truly believe in their heart of hearts that homebirth is not safe. I can appreciate the fact that many of them really do believe mothers and babies are being put at risk in this antiquated form of birth. But I do NOT believe that gives them the right to tell me where and how I should birth. Especially given the fabulous outcome I experienced using the medical system with Cavan. I will not subject myself or future babies to the hospital experience again, unless there is a true emergency or complication.

If I could speak to the physicians, I would remind them that statistics don't lie. Multiple studies have shown that homebirth is just as safe (often with far fewer interventions for mom and baby than their hospital counterparts) as a hospital birth when it is planned by a healthy, low-risk pregnant woman. I would invite them to attend some live homebirths and see how peaceful they can be. I would encourage them to actually speak one-to-one with some homebirth mamas and those who have had negative hospital experiences.

I realize I won't change their minds, but I do feel it is important for them to honestly look at the other side. For Ricki Lake's (and her producer's) response to the AMA and ACOG statements dismissing homebirths, go here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ricki-lake-jennifer-block-and-abby-epstein/docs-to-women-pay-no-atte_b_107845.html

It is important for us, particularly birthing women, to remember that in a healthcare system, WE are the consumers. The patients are the consumers of a product. So, take it seriously. Ask questions. Know the benefits and risks of every procedure or option. Read up on things and educate yourself. Be informed so you can truly make an educated decision. No one else is looking out for your health as much as YOU are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home