Morber High Life

The Champaign of Families---Crunchy. Conservative. Catholic. Consider yourself warned . . .

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Cubs!

Ah, lovely October, when the leaves fall, the temperature drops, and the MLB playoffs begin! My beloved Cubs clinched the division last weekend and find themselves as one of the 8 teams that will continue their season for at least another week (hopefully more).

The history of the lovable losers is well-documented; needless to say, there has been much suffering for those who profess a love for the north-side club. I have fond memories of watching games with my Grandpa Gale; if I recall, he wasn't much of a Harry Caray fan so he would lower the volume on the TV and listen to the radio broadcast instead. : )

It's hard to believe that my grandfather never saw the Cubs win it all. I mean he lived into his 70's, so they sure had plenty of opportunities to bring one home before he passed. How was he to know as a young boy in the thirties, that 70+ years later we would all still be waiting for that cherished World Series ring. Geez, we've almost his the century mark since their last WS victory (1908); since that time, I believe that their National League rivals, the Cardinals, have won ten titles, and even their hated cross-town rivals, the White Sox have won a couple. Yikes.

Is this the year? Well, all things being even at this point, I guess they have a 12.5% chance, which is better than nothing. Their closer, Ryan Dempster, has been pretty shaky the last few weeks, so my optimism is somewhat tempered. The first game starts tonight, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Go Cubs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home